We have some specific ideas for how to make the world a happier place. But we also want to know your suggestions. Because creating a happier world is about doing it together. So… Yes, let’s!
With all the negative that is going on in the world, it can feel overwhelming sometimes. Just knowing about events like mass shootings, climate disasters, or personal tragedies can make people feel helpless.
Instead of feeling depressed or paralyzed, let’s remember that each of us can do something to help make the world a happier place.
You may be familiar with the theory of the butterfly effect. It suggests that a butterfly flapping its wings in one place can create the tiny change that causes, modifies, or prevents a tornado in another place. Or have you heard of the concept that a smile can travel around the world? By you smiling at one person, who ends up smiling at someone else, that person in turn smiles at…
You get the idea: something that might be a small gesture for you, may end up having a larger positive effect in the world – or may even prevent someone else’s negative action.
A main reason we launched Happier Place was to do something, however small, against the scary, sad, horrible, angry and frustrating by focusing on helping make the world a happier place. We hope you’ll join in! (Calling all of you and us an *army of butterflies* would be a bit much, right? Right.)
We see three areas of focus in bringing positive change. Let us know if you think there are more.
Main Elements of Making the World a Happier Place:
- Make yourself happier.
- Help other people be happier.
- Respect and protect the natural environment.
Here are just a few ideas of happier-making action steps for each area. Most ideas include a link for further inspiration. All lists include a blank space to spark your own ideas…
1. Make Yourself Happier:
- Do more of what makes you happier.
- Take a break. Go outside. Have fun.
- Find, declare, and visit a happier place of your own.
- Be “in the moment” and experience gratitude: Stop. Look. Appreciate.
2. Help Other People Be Happier:
- Encourage friends and family to do any of the things that would make them happier (see above list or these stickers).
- Volunteer – by working for free a few hours weekly at a local organization – or by spending a week or more at an international location where help is needed. Find volunteer opportunities locally and abroad via VolunteerMatch, Idealist, Create the Good, Volunteer Abroad HQ, etc.
- Be open-minded and kind whenever you interact with others, even if (or especially when) they are different from you. Be kind. Be brave. Be happier.
- Reach out to someone and ask how they’re doing, listen to them, give them a compliment, share a smile.
3. Respect and Protect the Natural Environment:
- Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Purchase less single-use plastic products (e.g., plastic bottles and utensils). Purchase more products that have less of a negative impact on the environment (e.g., Happier Place notebooks made from recycled paper and printed with plant-based inks).
Choose items that can be used more than once (e.g., Happier Place stainless steel bottle).
Use those recycle bins!
- When choosing a leisure-time activity, do something outdoors (e.g., walk, picnic, relax in nature etc.). You’ll get to know your natural environment better and appreciate all the awesomeness around.
- Donate to a nature-related non-profit organization of your choice, e.g. Environmental Defense Fund, Greenpeace Fund, National Parks Conservation Association, Nature Conservancy Fund, Sierra Club Foundation, etc.
- When you’re outdoors, don’t leave any garbage behind, please. Next level: pick up the trash others left before you. Thank you! (Tip: bring an extra bag for carrying trash to the next public garbage can.)
What would you add to each of these lists?
Let’s Inspire Each Other
What do you think can make the world a happier place? Share with us your general and specific ideas. Tell us about what you already do or what you would like to do.
Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.
If you want a reminder and spread the word in the physical world, you might like these products.
Let’s do this together. Share and revisit these ideas by saving this image to Pinterest.